Monday, March 8, 2010

Philosophy Paper Vs My Faith

I had a philosophy paper due to today that I really struggled with. This whole semester has been a test of my faith, but this one had to be put in black and white. I had to choose an argument to agree with out of the following

A) God exists because the world does
B) God exists because of the design of things
C) God exists because he is the greatest conceivable being

At first glance I could see how all of these could work on some level- I mean I DO believe God made the world, and I do believe that He is intelligent and therefor so is the design of everything around us, and I do believe that God is great- but it just felt like I was putting God into a box- and I have learned never to do that.

If God is just a creator or designer- that would be like saying Van Gogh existed because he painted Starry Night. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure he existed for more than just the time period that it took to paint that portrait, and I am also pretty sure he had more to him and his life than just that one character trait.

And saying that God was only as great as we can conceive? How arrogant of us to think that we could ever possibly even fathom Gods greatness! I don't know about anyone else- but God has done so many amazing things in my life that I can not possibly ever understand, and I don't think that he intends for us to.

So I argued against all three! So let's start praying now that my agnostic professor can see the argument behind the paper and not just that I disagreed with all three of the options!

No comments:

Post a Comment